Cryo Ablation at Oregon Urology ClinicCryo Ablation at Oregon Urology Clinic
At the Oregon Urology Clinic, we offer cryo ablation, also known as cryotherapy, as an advanced treatment option for prostate and kidney cancers. Our skilled urologists utilize this minimally invasive procedure to precisely target and destroy cancer cells using extreme cold temperatures. Cryo ablation offers patients an effective alternative to traditional surgery while providing excellent cancer control and preserving quality of life.
Understanding Cryo Ablation
Cryo ablation is a minimally invasive technique that involves freezing cancerous tissue to destroy cancer cells. The procedure uses extreme cold temperatures to create ice crystals that destroy the cancer cells upon thawing. This targeted freezing process is guided by real-time imaging technology, ensuring precise treatment and minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue.
During cryo ablation, small cryoprobes are inserted into the tumor under ultrasound or MRI guidance. These probes deliver extremely cold gases, such as liquid nitrogen or argon gas, which freeze the tumor. The freezing and thawing cycles cause damage to the cancer cells, leading to their destruction.
Advantages of Cryo Ablation
Cryo ablation offers several advantages for the treatment of prostate and kidney cancers:
1. Precise Targeting: Real-time imaging technology allows for precise placement of the cryoprobes, ensuring accurate targeting of cancerous tissue while sparing healthy surrounding structures.
2. Minimally Invasive: Cryo ablation is a minimally invasive procedure that requires only small incisions, resulting in less pain, shorter hospital stays, and faster recovery compared to traditional open surgeries.
3. Excellent Cancer Control: Cryo ablation has been shown to provide excellent cancer control, with high success rates in achieving complete destruction of cancer cells.
4. Preserving Quality of Life: Cryo ablation minimizes the risk of complications and side effects, allowing patients to maintain a good quality of life after treatment.
Cryo Ablation for Prostate Cancer
Cryo ablation is a viable treatment option for localized prostate cancer. It is particularly effective for patients who have localized tumors within the prostate gland and may not be suitable candidates for surgery or radiation therapy due to various reasons, such as age or pre-existing health conditions.
Benefits of Cryo Ablation for Prostate Cancer
Cryo ablation offers several benefits for the treatment of prostate cancer:
1. High Cancer Control Rates: Cryo ablation has demonstrated high rates of cancer control, comparable to traditional treatments such as surgery or radiation therapy.
2. Minimally Invasive: The procedure is performed through small incisions, resulting in less pain, minimal scarring, and faster recovery compared to open surgery.
3. Preserving Continence and Sexual Function: Cryo ablation has shown promising results in preserving urinary continence and sexual function compared to other treatment options.
4. Repeatable Procedure: In cases of cancer recurrence or persistence, cryo ablation can be repeated as needed, providing flexibility in treatment options.
Cryo Ablation for Kidney Cancer
Cryo ablation is also an effective treatment option for small renal tumors. It offers excellent cancer control while preserving kidney function and minimizing the need for more extensive surgeries, such as partial or total nephrectomy.
Benefits of Cryo Ablation for Kidney Cancer
Cryo ablation provides several advantages for the treatment of kidney cancer:
1. Kidney Preservation: Cryo ablation targets and destroys tumors while preserving the majority of the healthy kidney tissue, allowing for continued kidney function.
2. Minimally Invasive: The procedure is performed through small incisions, resulting in less pain, shorter hospital stays, and faster recovery compared to more invasive surgeries.
3. Excellent Cancer Control: Cryo ablation has been shown to achieve high rates of cancer control, especially for small renal tumors.
4. Reduced Risk of Complications: Cryo ablation has a low risk of complications, making it a safe and effective treatment option for kidney cancer.
Is Cryo Ablation Right for You?
Determining the most appropriate treatment for your prostate or kidney cancer requires a thorough evaluation by our experienced urologists. They will assess the specifics of your cancer, including the stage, size, and location, as well as your overall health and treatment goals.
During your consultation at the Oregon Urology Clinic, our urologists will discuss the benefits, risks, and expected outcomes of cryo ablation. They will address any questions or concerns you may have and work collaboratively with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that best suits your needs.
With our expertise in cryo ablation and dedication to delivering the highest standard of care, we are committed to helping you achieve successful cancer treatment outcomes and improved quality of life.